Last 25 Recipes

Friday, July 6, 2012

4th of July Soda Grilled Brats

This Fourth of July I was having the biggest craving for bratwurst. Gross! is how my wife reacted when I told her. I've always had a fond love for bratwursts. They always bring me back to when my family would visit Leavenworth, WA, a small Germany alpine town  tucked in the mountains just outside of Seattle. If you get a chance, I highly recommend visiting. Every time we would go, we would stop at this small sausage shack and get an authentic German Brat. I haven't had one in years so I felt that we had to try it this year. Someone mentioned to Laura's mom that the best way to cook brats is to boil them in beer or some sort of soda. It gave me the idea to par-cook the sausages in the liquid, then take them to the grill and finish them off. I also wanted to see if there was a difference between cooking them in Coke or Sprite. So we did two batches. The coke ones were good but I preferred the Sprite ones, they were amazing and super juicy! Even Laura agreed they were pretty good. Here's the recipe:

Soda Grilled Bratwursts

6-8 Bratwursts (I prefer the natural casing ones but sometimes they are hard to find. I think we got ours at costco)
2 cans of Sprite (or Coke)
Buns and toppings

So this is super simple. Just put the sprite in a pot and get it boiling. Place the brats in the soda and let it boil for about 5 minutes until they are really plump and grey. Take them out of the soda and put them on a grill preheated to med-high. Grill until golden brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes turning occasionally.

This was so simple and easy, I think I'm going to make it a Fourth of July tradition.

1 comments:

Might I suggest reversing the process?
We grill the brats (Johnsonville) for about 20 minutes, reaching the desired level of brownness. Then we put them in a pot of Sprite. We bring it to a near boil, then simmer them. We generally let them simmer for several hours.
The great thing about this method, you can refrigerate them and bring them out the next day at a party ... just heat them in a crockpot. They are so good this way.